Tuesday, March 24, 2009

J. Phoenix Picks Up White Woman & Channels Elvis in the Caribbean

Just Kidding…It’s been a minute so I thought I’d make renewing our conversation a little provocative. Recently I ran into Etta May, winner of the prestigious American Comedy Awards “Stand-Up Comic of the Year.” You’ve probably seen her on Oprah, Comic Strip Live, MTV, or “CBS Sunday Morning.” We had dinner and talked about how much I like her comedy and how much she likes my singing.

I also had the pleasure of hanging out and talking music business with Kent Hernandez who manages Matthew Santos, the young, Grammy-nominated singer/songwriter known for his work on Lupe Fiasco’s “Superstar” and additional tracks on “The Cool.” Keep your eye on this young man, he has skills.

Last we talked I was doing the singing thing in Europe. At the end of ’08 I hit New York for a minute, spent some time in North Carolina and Houston, and now I'm doing my thing in the Caribbean for a few months…..notice the tan?

While in New York I caught up with well-known music industry maven turned author, Jacqueline Rhinehart for one of the signing events for her new book My Organic Soul: From Plato to Creflo, Emerson to MLK, Jesus to Jay-Z. Check it out. It's awesome.

The Music……….I’m workin’ on it. On the road, Pro Tools has become my new best friend. I’m planning to have something new and hot for ya’ll in 2010.

The Stage..…….You would never believe this if you didn’t hear it from me. But yes, I did it, donned a little gold lame and wailed on Elvis’ “Little Less Conversation,” with Jennifer (left) and Brandi doing a lil something on the side. Competition is tough out here, so a brother’s got to be versatile.

The Future…OK, so I didn’t follow tradition. What else is new? I released an album, did two performances and left the country. But now, I’m geared up to do some serious live performances on U.S. soil when I return. So, if you’d like to see me in your city stop by Eventful and make your demand known. I definitely want to hit some college campuses, so let me know what spots you think are the hottest. For you social networkers, feel free to grab the demand widget and place it on your pages. This is definitely a case where the squeaky wheel will get oiled.

Getting Masterpiece……CD Baby, iTunes, Amazon, Digstation, eMusic, and Rhapsody

Thanks for coming on the ride and let’s continue the conversation…….



No comments:

Post a Comment