Tuesday, August 26, 2008

A&Rs, DJs and The Dancefloor

The A&Rs Get Me…….I’m just not sure they know it. Let me share a lil sumpin’ with you. Like most songwriters I get my share of passes; and the reasons vary. In the past it’s been the artist is not going in this direction, we’re looking for something a little more uptempo, or we’re looking for something with more hook and less message.

But lately I’ve been hearing that my songs don’t sound like everything else on the radio; and that my songs are a perfect fit for film, television and advertising. This is where I say, “you do get me.” True, I don’t sing like everyone else on the radio. I have a style of my own; and, like film and television, my songwriting is about storytelling, not just coming up with a hook to keep the club bouncing.

Throughout my career I’ve admired and been influenced by songwriters whose lyrics are still relevant today (think Marvin Gaye, Curtis Mayfield, Smokey Robinson, Bill Withers) and sound damn good on the radio today too. The same goes for singers whose soulful delivery brought us to our feet (James Brown, Barry White, Al Green and Isaac Hayes) and balladeers who just sang, sang, sang (Peabo Bryson, James Ingram, Jeffrey Osborne and Luther Vandross, one of my mentors who sold us a whole of products through his voice in advertising).

Then, as we came upon the end of the 20th century, we all got excited the first time we heard D’Angelo, Maxwell and Musiq Soulchild, because they didn’t sound like everyone else on the radio. So right about now I’m thinkin’ different was always good and it still is. Whatchoothink?

Oh, by the way, has anyone noticed that some songs played on the radio are the same or similar in title and storyline as three of the songs on MASTERPIECE?: “Hate That I Love You” (Rihanna/Ne-Yo), “Just Like You” (Keyshia Cole) and “Money’ Don’t Mean A Thing” (Dwele’s last album)

What’s Up With Masterpiece…….DJs are felling "For The People" and people are lovin’ it on the dance floor in Brooklyn, on Long island and in New Jersey, message and all. A record pool in the Midwest just put in a request so I’ll let you know how it goes in that part of the country…….Airplay is also happening on Internet stations.

Where In The World Is J. Phoenix……On my way to Kudasi, Turkey, then off to Greece for the weekend.

Thanks for coming on the ride and let’s continue the conversation…….

Masterpiece album at CD Baby

Downloads at iTunes, Amazon, Ruckus, Digstation, eMusic, Rhapsody

Ringtones at GroupieTunes

Video at YouTube


No comments:

Post a Comment