Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Back To The Music

It's Official.......After creating hits across genres for other folks, I'm coming out swinging on my own on July 29th with a national radio promotion for my first single, “For The People,” to mark the "official" release MASTERPIECE.

Since you're an insider, you already know “For The People,” is produced by The Heatmakerz, the phenomenal Hip-Hop team known for their work with Cannibus Cam’ron, Lil Flip, and Lil Wayne. What you may not know is that it has recently enjoyed more than 7,000 plays online....thank you very much....and is called “a winner and real crowd pleaser with good melodies and a great message” by the A&R team at Taximusic.com.

In case you haven't noticed, this song is all about getting ya'll back to happy, and reminding you that regardless of how the world is changing our souls never die. Ultimately, for me, music is about healing and that's always my goal.

Now I'm not bragging, but I'm justing putting it out there that folks have been saying I'm like Jill Scott for my vibe, Anthony Hamilton for my soulful delivery, Eric Benet for my vibrato, Seal for my diversity, and Avant for my lyrical approach to romance. And I'm cool with that.

The Making of Masterpiece.....This was a fantastic journey. I was inspired by such classic

soul artists as Marvin Gaye, Curtis Mayfield and Bill Withers. Like these poets, I'm addressing what's really going on from the power of individuals to make a difference (“Heart of a Solder”), to heartbreak (“Just Another Memory”) to the negative views often directed toward African-American men (“Just Like You” and “Maybe One Day”).


I'm incredibly proud of Masterpiece because it gave me the opportunity to tell my stories along with artists I consider great. There’s no trend on this album, it's about the vocals, the lyrics, great musicianship and strong production.

I co-executive produced Masterpiece with my long-time collaborator Gary Haase, known for his work with such artists as Celine Dion, Chaka Khan, Randy Brecker and Michael Bolton. In addition to Gary and the Heatmakerz, Masterpiece features the work of Los Angeles R&B hitmaker, Kip “KP” Wilson, who handled the remix of Tupac’s “Mama’s Just A Little Girl,” Eric Codee who boasts a client list that includes Mary J. Blige, Neo and Marcus Miller, and title song producer, Bert Price, known for his work with R&B legends Blue Magic and contemporary artists such as Alicia Keys.

Other musicians on the album are American Idol tour guitarist Tim Stewart, who has performed with Jennifer Hudson, Mary Mary, Heather Headley and Omarion, and played on albums with Lionel Richie, Destiny's Child, Marvin Sapp, Mary J. Blige, Tamia, Tupac, Vickie Winans, and Rodney Jerkins; Alex Stiff, the accomplished producer, songwriter and guitarist with song placements on television and in advertising, who produced for Tupac’s Better Dayz album and was featured on Quincy Jones & Bill Cosby - The New Mixes, Vol. I.; violinist Angeliqua "Gailybird" Cowart and bassist “Phat” Albert Parker, both members of the alternative hip hop band 4th Avenue Jones; and Chris Taylor, who has worked with Celine Dion, Grover Washington, Jr., and Randy Brecker.

Where In The World Is J. Phoenix…….Today it’s all about Croatia and for the weekend I’m heading to Italy and France.


CD at CD Baby

Downloads at iTunes, Amazon, Ruckus, Digstation, eMusic, Rhapsody

Ringtones at GroupieTunes

Video at YouTube


Thanks for coming on the ride and let’s continue the conversation…….






No comments:

Post a Comment